Bhakti Chai Cheesecake Cups
Created by Bauman College natural chef Meradeth Hart as part of the 2013 Bhakti Chai Recipe Challenge, this raw dessert is the essence of simplicity; says Hart, “If you follow the instructions you really can’t mess it up!” For a little more sweet heat, add some finely minced candied ginger to the crust mixture.
- 1 3/4 cups raw cashew pieces
- 1/3 cup raw pecans
- 1 medjool date, pit removed (if very dry, soak in hot water and drain)
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup unsweetened Bhakti Chai concentrate, original
- 1/4 cup local honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 12 pecan halves, for garnish
- Soak cashews in filtered water to cover for at least 4 hours; drain.
- In a food processor, pulse pecans, date, and salt until well combined. Press a little between your fingers; if it holds together, it’s ready. If not, pulse a little more.
- Press 2-3 teaspoons pecan mixture into bottom of twelve 2-ounce party cups.
- In a blender or clean food processor, combine soaked and drained cashews, coconut oil, chai concentrate, honey, vanilla, and ginger. Blend until smooth and creamy. Add to party cups, filling each about three-fourths full. Garnish each with a pecan half and refrigerate at least 1 hour. Serve cold.